What causes pain in the rotator cuff muscles?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I have been dealing with pain in my right rotator cuff for a few weeks. I am an avid weight lifter and have sustained injuries to my left rotator cuff previously. I think at this current time I am just dealing with some tendonitis. I have used PRP to recover from tennis elbow in the past and I am curious if PRP would be beneficial for my rotator cuff problem. Thank you for your time.
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Effect of PRP is questionable

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Has the PRP worked for your tennis elbow?

Usually PRP injections have a questionable effect on the injured Rotator cuff. It may or may not cause healing. If it does, it would take a few months to years to do so.

If it is a Rotator cuff tendinitis or partial tear, it is useful to perform Rotator cuff strengthening using a Theraband.

The tendinitis should clear up if you take care to avoid lifting weights. Also if you do have your MRI scan J can comment further.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Follow-up: What causes pain in the rotator cuff muscles? 29 minutes later
Yes the prp worked well for my tennis elbow. However, like you mentioned it took about 2 months to kick in. I have been trying to do strengthening exercises with light therabands, it seems to inflame the injury. Perhaps I should completely rest the shoulder for a few weeks?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can reduce the frequency

Detailed Answer:
You may reduce the intensity of the exercise by reducing the frequency or the duration.