What causes pain in the rotator cuff muscles?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I have been dealing with pain in my right rotator cuff for a few weeks. I am an avid weight lifter and have sustained injuries to my left rotator cuff previously. I think at this current time I am just dealing with some tendonitis. I have used PRP to recover from tennis elbow in the past and I am curious if PRP would be beneficial for my rotator cuff problem. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Effect of PRP is questionable

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Has the PRP worked for your tennis elbow?

Usually PRP injections have a questionable effect on the injured Rotator cuff. It may or may not cause healing. If it does, it would take a few months to years to do so.

If it is a Rotator cuff tendinitis or partial tear, it is useful to perform Rotator cuff strengthening using a Theraband.

The tendinitis should clear up if you take care to avoid lifting weights. Also if you do have your MRI scan J can comment further.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 29 minutes later
Yes the prp worked well for my tennis elbow. However, like you mentioned it took about 2 months to kick in. I have been trying to do strengthening exercises with light therabands, it seems to inflame the injury. Perhaps I should completely rest the shoulder for a few weeks?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can reduce the frequency

Detailed Answer:
You may reduce the intensity of the exercise by reducing the frequency or the duration.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana