How can dislocated shoulder be treated?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Back Pain
Question: My daughter has dislocated her shoulder. What is the best way to help it heal?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rest is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Shoulder dislocation can result in partial tear of ligaments or rotator cuff.

I would strongly recommend you to visit an orthopedic surgeon for a thorough examination and also a diagnostic MRI of shoulder for a definite diagnosis.

She may start with painkillers, hot fomentation along with application of local topical analgesic gels or sprays for symptomatic relief. Also, avoid lifting heavy weights or standing on hands for a while as it will put undue pressure on the shoulder causing further damage.
Continue using sling after proper reduction of the dislocated joint. The healing may take 3-4 weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal