Does right rotator-cuff damage require surgical fixation for both shoulders?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hi, I am dealing with a torn left rotator cuff for about three years. I went to pt 2 twice and both times I regained semi normal function. Throughout that three year period I compensated with my good arm a lot. I began to feel pain in my right rotator cuff about 2 months ago. I slipped on ice and feel this morning, I braced the fall with my right arm and fear I did more damage to the shoulder. I now am experiencing a great deal of pain in both shoulders. Is it common to operate on both shoulders at once? or do people normally have them fixed one at a time. Thank you in advanced for your response.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
One shoulder at a time.

Detailed Answer:
After the fall the chances of injuring the shoulder again are very high. The extent of damage can be detected only after an MRI scan. Usually surgical fixation is done on one shoulder at a time. But it depends on the extent of injury also.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal