Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

I have poor circulation. Have varicose veins, dark stain on lower leg and open wound on calf. Any cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 961 Questions
I have poor circulation. Just been at haemotology with suspected clotting problem and they say nothing is wrong but I have weeping XXXXXXX sores round my ankle. What should I do now.

I have had varicose veins since i was 11. my grandmother had thrombosis. I have dark staining on my lower legs and feet and I have a perfectly circuar open wound on my calf.

Its these XXXXXXX patches that bother me the most. They are scaly and seep
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Dear friend,

Thanks for the query.

From your description, I feel you have venous insufficiency in the lower limbs.

It is common in long standing varicose veins and the symptoms are secondary to high venous pressures. Discoloration over part of the limb is associated with stasis in the affected extremity leading to oozing ulceration of thinned out skin.

It needs surgical care of the wound. Varicose vein surgery and a groin valve repair are required in some cases as the treatment. Some measure like use of stockings under supervision; avoid standing posture for long duration and keeping the limbs elevated as far as possible needs to be followed strictly before surgery can be planned.

I would suggest seeing a surgeon, getting an ultrasound of venous system and sapheno-femoral junction valve done to confirm the possibility. Your doctor may also order color Doppler studies of veins to rule out thrombosis.

I think this answer your query well. If you are satisfied, please proceed to rate the experience and close the discussion. I will be glad to clarify / answer other doubts should you have any.

Take care and keep me posted on your progress.

Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor