What causes pain and tightness in the shoulder after receiving a flu shot?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Lump
Question: 5 weeks after receiving a flu shot my shoulder is still very tight and painful enough to cause me to lose sleep at night. I must get up and exercise my shoulder in order to get any relief. In the day when I am using my arm and shoulder,not much problem. Still I must exercise the shoulder to maintain range of motion. The pain seems to be leaving but very slowly. I can soak up a lot of pain but after this amount of time it should be gone. I have never had any problem with any shots in the past. What could have gone wrong?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound should be done.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can indicate soft tissues inflammation, an abscess or veinous thrombosis. You are right that it's lasting too long.

I suggest you to have veins Doppler ultrasound of your arm and soft tissues ultrasound. Based on the results, it may require some additional treatment.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee