Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

I have a sudden painful large growth under my tongue.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have a sudden painful large growth under my tongue, seemed to happen in 24 hrs
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.

Sudden painful large growth under tongue can most probably be related to sublingual salivary gland which normally secrete saliva and can be swollen and painful in following conditions.

1. Sialolithiasis which means salivary gland stones which obstruct the opening of the gland.
2. Sialadenitis which means inflammatory swelling of the gland mostly infectious.
3. Viral or bacterial infections can cause pain, swelling , pus discharge from the gland. In addition, it can present with fever, myalgia etc.
4. Angioedema or allergic reaction to any food or medicine can also cause sudden swelling of lips and oral cavity.

In your case, if there are no other symptoms like pus discharge or fever or drug allergy, then the most likely possibility is either a stone or inflammation of the salivary gland.

Treatment would include antiinflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen and if required antibiotics.

But before that you need to consult your doctor or dentist for palpation of the swelling, relieving of obstruction or drainage of any discharge if possible and confirmation of diagnosis. The further management would depend on the exact diagnosis.

Meanwhile you should maintain oral hygiene, do warm saline gargles for relief. If any history of allergy is present then, anti histaminics like Cetrizine might help.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor