Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

I am overweight. Diagnosed with anaemia, swollen and purplish legs. Feeling fatigued. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My dr told me that i am extremly anemic when i went in 2 years ago with veery swollen and purplish legs sent me for a lot of blood work and had no answer for me i am quite a lot overweight but i eat healthy and avoid salt whenever i can i find that i am very tired he put me on the antidepressant prestique and it helps with the fatigue but now my stomach especially around my belly button and i find i have to wear looser clothing so it doesn't hurt as much and it is frustrating i am a single mother closely approaching 40 i want help so i can be here for my daughter
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
As per your information your current problem of abdominal discomfort is most probably a sideffect of the medication pristiq (desvenlafaxine) a good antidepressant .
This does not occur in every person taking pristiq and moreover the severity also varies from person to person.
The best step would be to report to your treating doctor and get yourself reevaluated depending on which a change of drug or dose might be prescribed.

Regarding your weight issues and anemia though you haven't mentioned any figures I assume it to be severe as per your information.
You need to take iron supplements along with vitamin c and frolic acid in addition ( preferably) .These can reduce your fatigue , improve your health .
The swollen feet might be seen in severe anemia but can also be caused by many other problems like circulatory or kidney disorders which are supposedly ruled out by tests .
Obesity itself can cause swelling of feet and legs and also cause fatigue , depression etc.So do have daily exercise under a professional superviser in addition to diet control.
You are right in being a caring parent and it makes it all the more important to get immediate help for any health problems you suffer from minor to serious ones.
So please consult your physician as soon as feasible and do strive for a healthier diet and exercise regime daily .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for Any follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor