Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

I am a diabetic and sugar level are not under control. Looking for suggestion to control sugar level

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 150 Questions
Hi. I am a diabetic and my sugar level are not under control . fasting is 200
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Chitra Reddy 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

Insulin administration itself does not solve the problems always. Many things need to be considered along with that. Let me provide few suggestions/tips which you can consider to control your sugars better:

1. Balanced diabetic diet planned by a dietician considering all your requirements may be needed.
2. No smoking and alcohol consumption absolutely
3. The time interval between food intake and insulin should be strictly the same as prescribed by your doctor
4. Check which insulin you are taking e.g. long acting or short acting. Depending upon the time at which your blood glucose levels rise, accordingly your doctor may take a decision to change the type of insulin
5. Learn about correct steps in taking insulin
6. You may think that you are taking little food but see that you are taking foods with low glycaemic index. This is more important
7. Remember that stress makes your levels to go out of control even when you are under very good medication. So try yoga, meditation and proper relaxation methods.
8. Good amount of physical activities may help you; but you may need a proper trainer.
9. Get yourself checked for any infections.
10. Take your food early in the night and go to bed early - make it a regular habit.
11. Frequent monitoring of blood glucose levels is mandatory while taking insulin.
12. I expect you to mention your weight and insulin you are taking.

Lastly an increase of 3 -5 units in the morning or in the night may be done in your case but it depends on type of insulin and your body weight again. So discuss with your treating doctor.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to contact me for further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor