What do positive urine test results for glucose with fatigue indicate?

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Getting high Blood Urine checks +++ fasting this morning. Positive all day yesterday. This has happened a couple of times in past 6 moths then stops for a while . No other symptoms, no thirst, I am overly tired and didnt want to get up this morning. Was diagnosed with specific glucose intolerance when I was younger put on low dose insulin then stopped when I kept getting low blood sugar. That was 40 years ago. I checked my urine yesterday and today because I felt off. Have DR appointment Tuesday going to ask for A1C blood test. Any ideas. Obviouly cant take pills or insulin since the levels are all over the place
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check blood sugar:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
You should know that when the blood sugar is higher than 180 mg/ dl, than our body tries to eliminate it through urine. So, when glucose in urine is positive, for sure the glucose in blood is over 180 mg/dl.
There is no other pathology except of Diabetes causing glucose in urine.
That is why you should check fasting and postprandial glucose as well as HbA1c to confirm Diabetes and decide about the treatment, depending on HbA1c level.
The tiredness and the episode of yesterday may be symptoms of high blood sugar.
You may check the blood sugar with a glucometer during these days and if levels are too high ( over 300 mg/ dl) you will need probably to see your physician earlier.
Hope i have been helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist