Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Hysterectomy done. Having pain and discomfort across lower abdomen. Any suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago. I have for the past months had a lot of pain and discomfort across my lower abdomen exactly where the scar is. I also have to urinate very often and "right now". About a year ago I had a bladder sling put in to help with the leak when I coughed, jumped or sneezed. I have also heard some bladder slings have been recalled so not sure if this is why I have so much pain, pressure and discomfort. It wakes me during the night and seems worse when I am laying down or if I stand for a long period of time. Any suggestions? I appreciate your thoughts on this. It is making my life difficult in many ways. The comfort but also the worry that one of these times I will not make it to the bathroom. I should also let you know I have Sjogren's Syndrom, and Hypothyroidism. I have had a total hysterectomy (because of a lot of cysts and bleeding), I have also had an appendectomy and my gallbladder removed. I am 50 years old. I am 5'6 and weigh 215.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are probably caused by urinary tract stones what should be ruled out at first. UTI is often associated with burning when urinating, frequent urinating, sometimes with fever. The scar after hysterectomy is exactly in the area where urinary bladder is located so you may think this is because of the scar.
I suggest you to have urine tests and abdominal ultrasound to see if there is an infection. To treat it, antibiotics therapy might be necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor