Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Hurt ankle. No bruise, having small bump. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14887 Questions
I hit my XXXXXXX on the hard surface of my platform bed about about four inches above my ankle slightly to the side of the XXXXXXX bone. No evidence of a bruise but I have a small bump that was pretty tender at first but is less so after about a week. I've had a couple similar very small painless bumps on my other leg along the XXXXXXX bone for years that haven't changed. I'm thin - 94 lbs so there isn't much cushion e.g fat on or around my XXXXXXX Should I be worried about this?
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

After an injury to any part of the body there is an inflammatory response.
Part of the inflammatory response involves the release of certain chemicals.

These chemicals cause initial swelling and eventual fibrosis (the formation of scar tissue).
During fibrosis the area can become firm or hard , it also becomes non tender.

It is likely that the bump that you are seeing is as a result of scar tissue formation.
The scar tissue or fibrotic area can continue to remodel itself and become smaller but this can take a few weeks in some cases. In some persons , it can actually take a few months for the area to return to normal.

Cysts or sacs that collect fluid can also form as a result of trauma. They are firm, round and usually not tender. They tend to resolve on their own.

Normally observation is the only suggested treatment unless it is bothersome to you. If this is the case then the use of ibuprofen, cataflam, aspirin, mobic or celebrex.
All of these are taken on a full stomach.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor