How to terminate pregnancy?

Dr. Nidhi Setia

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor, My last periods was on Sep 11, 2015 and i tested positive for pregnancy. I have a year old baby and not sure if i should be going for this.

I would like to go for abortion, please suggest if i could do it at home with minimal monitoring.
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MTP kit under doctor's supervision.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome here.
I understand your concerns.

Ideally, the body takes three years to recover itself after the birth of a baby.

But, one year gap is also not a high risk condition.

What is also important is that whether you are mentally prepared or not, for the second baby.
Discuss with your husband and make yourself clear in this.
Once you take drugs for abortion, there would no going back.

Its not possible to go for abortion with any home treatment.

MTP kit is used for abortion under a gynecologist's supervision. Please do not attempt it at home on your own.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Nidhi Setia 11 minutes later
Thank you Doctor.

What are the steps followed for MTP kit if needed. Does it need an ultrasound prior to it. Do you need to get admitted for this?

Mentally am not prepared, its being stressful all the while and i am working too. Worried that i cant spend much time with my one year old
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MTP kit under doctor's supervision, first prepare your mind.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome dear.

I understand this can be a difficult situation.
That's why I mentioned earlier that you have to be mentally prepared whether you want to continue with this pregnancy or not.
Your spouse will be the best person to discuss to.

MTP kit has 1 mifepristone tablet which taken at once.
Then it contains 4 misoprostol tablets, which are to be kept vaginally 1-3 days later.

This will cause bleeding and products of conception will be washed out.Initially there may be some heavy bleeding. Slight bleeding may continue for two weeks.

No need to go for a prior ultrasound but make sure that pregnancy is confirmed. Ultrasound is to be done 2 weeks after taking the pills to confirm abortion.

You need not be admitted in hospital. The kit is available only on prescription and your doctor will explain how to take it and will give mifepristone tablet in front of him/her.

Hope this helps.
I wish you well.
Happy to help you if you have more queries in future as well.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj