How to quit smoking?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hello, I am trying to quit smoking and finding it very difficult to do so. When ever I have tried to quit smoking, I have ended up smoking more than normal. I need assistance in giving up smoking. I recently received a mail from health magic informing about a combination of behavioral therapy by counselor and medication to quit smoking. Want to exlore the idea.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.
I am Dr Mittal, MD
I have read your query and will try to help you regarding this query.

Considering your history, I will suggest that smoking should definitely be avoided.

I will like to help you, however I need to know more details. Like how much do you smoke? How many cigarettes a day?

I would also like to know what other medicines you are on.
Kindly let me know the information, so I can help you further.

Best of luck
Dr Mittal

Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Hello Dr Mittal, thank you for you kind response. Ecosprin150 is the only medicine I am currently taking. I will have to take it for life having the history of stroke. On an average I smoke between 4-5 cigarettes in a day which may reach close to 10 over the weekends. There are absolutely no other medication I am currently on.

Hope this information helps, do let me know if you need more information.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
3 Steps

Detailed Answer:
ok
good thing is that the height of your smoking is not too high
so you can come off it
the low point is that even small amount of smoking wont be good for you

1st- stay motivated. don't loose steam. many people start, but think- lets have just 1 today. will avoid tomorrow- here is news- TOMORROW NEVER COMES.

2nd- go slow. Dont stop one fine day. It is tougher that way. You smoke 5 cigs per day. ease out over 5 months. reduce by 1 per month.

3rd. try tobacco flavored chewing gums. they are very helpful.

The mantra is stay motivated.
Keep in touch. I can help you with that

Best of luck
Dr Mittal
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 12 hours later
Thank you Dr Mittal, for your prompt response. I was wondering if Tobacco falvoured chwing gums are more riskier than cigerettes. If you could help me understand how the chewing gum helps would clear my doubts and help me use them with ease.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
artificially stimulates the brain

Detailed Answer:
a very valid question
the flavor of tobacco in the gum artificially stimulates the brain to feel that you are having a cigarette.
it does not really add to the inhalant component of tobacco

since it is not the real thing, the brain does manage to break the habit
as soon as you manage to control the urge,
you can stop the gum too