How to prevent infection after wrist injury?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 8 Dec 2015 in Accident and Emergency
Question: Hello and thank you for reading. I had a fall just out front my house, scraping my wrist and bending 1/3rd of my thumbnail back, leaving it stuck that way. In a panic, I flipping the nail forward again before running inside to clean all my wounds. My wrist is thoroughly washed, but I see a line of dirt along the innermost bent nail edge which is now under the nail plate. It seems like a painful prospect to clean it out now, but I will if it'll cause problems. What are your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs wound management and Xrays

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic!

First of all, it is sad to know about the incidence that happend. Here are few measures which are needed in your case.

Since you have already washed the wound, you can use disinfectant cleansing with pyodine or alcohol of available.

Take analgesics like ACETAMINOPHEN 500mg for pain at this moment before availing health facility or ER review.

If nail, wrist or thumb has signs of dislocation, restrict it's mobility and get a review and initial management from nearby ER form a medical facility, and radiographs of affected hands and wrist.

Get a tetanus shot, and restrain any active bleeding, with pressure dressing.

You may need to be started on oral and topical antibiotics for quick and complication free.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina