How to control BP?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dr Varshney,
Thankyou for asking how I am.
I have now had the results which I asked my UK GP to carry out.
The ECG was unchanged which I presume included the right bundle branch block which has shown for many years.
The 24 hour urine test was all ok.
The blood test was all ok except for my cholesterol raised from 4.7.to 5.3 but my GP said the good type was encouraging.
He suggested i continue on the medication already mentioned but I have not added the prescribed beta blocker to the Amdodipin. My BP checked over the week seemed to have a pattern of 128/85 at 9am rising during the day with the highest average 157/95 at 11pm. my bpm always in the 70s.
My GP suggests that either Amyltriptiline or Mitazipine would help.
I still feel hot and flushed in the evenings and anxiety is a part of my make up. My new build house has been stressful over the past two years but its virtually finished now so just the move in.
Appreciate your comments.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 48 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome again. Good to hear from you. Good news is that you are feeling better.
My comments in your situation are as follows:
1. I suppose you should be added Hydrochlorothiazide with Amlodipine for a better BP control. Also it has been found to be helpful in keeping your heart good as per Joint National Committee 8 guidelines for Hypertension.

2. Amitryptilline should be avoided in patients with heart problems. Since you have Right bundle branch block that might be normally present in many people but still amtryptilline should be avoided.

3. Mirtazapine can be taken. It would help you in relief from anxiety and hot flushes.

4. You may ask your doctor to add a short duration anti anxiety drug like Etizolam in night which would help you to get a good sleep and also would help you with anxiety. With this drug you can avoid both Amitryptilline and Mirtazapine. And this is very safe in cardiac and hypertensive patients.

5. You should start exercises regularly that should include brisk walking. This would be very helpful for you in controlling BP and also in controlling cholesterol levels.

This is my best advise for you for a wonderful health.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Doctor, Thank you for coming back to me. I was surprised that Doctor Shehu answered my message directed to yourself. He did say you were away. He did offer wise words relating to the reduction of stress etc. However I would have preferred to wait for your update. My BP is back to normal levels with just the Amlodipine. I will speak to my GP about Etizolam. I am glad you are happy with Mirtazapine. I find that 7.5gm is enough to give me a fantastic nights sleep. I know the drug is supposed to be taken long term but I find that 2/3 nights is beneficial. It helps with less visits to the toilet during the night and i even think my poor skin condition improves.
I value your advice and thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome again. There might be done confusion. I am always available for you.
Whenever you send any query go to my link and send it or mention my name in the query. Also you can open the discussion again that has been closed.
I am happy if you are comfortable with Mirtazapine.
I am just concerned regarding your rising BP by the evening as it should be well maintained 24 hours.
So keep a check on your BP and if the readings are high discuss with your doctor about my opinion of adding Hydrochlorothiazide.
To reliev stress best helpful measure is meditation. Try that with your exercises.
I am sure you will feel good.
Monitor your Blood pressure for a month. And revert back with the readings. I would advise you to chart it down on a piece of paper and then take a snap and send it to me after a month so that I can review it properly.
If you have any further query please ask me else close the discussion and rate it.
Stay Healthy.