Suggest treatment for symptoms of anxiety

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: For the past week I have been having symptoms that come and go throughout the day and vary in intensity. The other day they lasted for about 4 hours. My symptoms were left arm burning/aching/heaviness and sometimes it would go to my right arm or right arm pit. I would also getting a burning in my chest that would radiate up into my neck or feel like it was burning through my upper back. I also felt extreme fatigue and weakness. I would get episodes where my heart was pounding very fast. Every now and then I would get dizzy or nauseous or feel a heaviness on my chest. I was taking antacids to see if that would help but it didn't. And as I said it would wax and wane in intensity. I've been having little episodes but nothing like the long episode. I had a similar episode in March and saw cardiology and they told me I had POTS and cardiac vasospasm. I have been great until this past week. I had an echo which was normal in January but I didn't have those symptoms then. I had called my cardiologist and they said it seemed like "non cardiac pain" so I went to my family doctor. My EKG had showed an incomplete right bundle branch block that was not there before but cardiology said that is nothing to worry about. I do not know what else to do.I know I am only 36 years old and I am not overweight. My only risk factor is high cholesterol. But I truly feel that there is something happening in my heart. I feel stupid for going to the doctor but I know something is wrong. Any other ideas of what could be causing these symptoms besides cardiac? I had seen a psychiatrist just to rule out anxiety and they said it was a medical issue. And I am not sure if this is related, but for the past week I have been getting pain in my wrists as well. It comes and goes throughout the day. Only lasting for short times. Its like a deep ache.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.

Based on the current symptoms, I feel your diagnosis is anxiety only. Since you have been evaluated for cardiac issues with all relevant tests negative, I would say, probably you have anxiety.

Now, anxiety is a clinical diagnosis and no test can confirm it.

So, whenever we are in doubt, we give a trial of anti anxiety medicines for a few weeks and see the response. If you respond well your diagnosis is confirmed.

Discuss with your doctor to prescribe you Escitalopram along with Etizolam and let’s wait for 3 weeks and see the difference in your symptoms.

I am hopeful, that you should respond to these medicines.
Go to your doctor and share my opinion with him.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana