How to calculate gestational age using last menstrual period?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello actually my period date was4 4.7.2016.but we have intercourse on 21.7.2016.I came to know that I m pregnant on 10.8.2016. Sir I would like to know,the foetus is how many days?I m felling that my right stomach and backside is giving pain.felling very tight near right side of the stomach.is there any chance of miscarriage????
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Miscarriage unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The gestational age is calculated from the first day of the last menstrual period, and by your dates, your gestational period is 5 weeks 3 days.
Since the ovulation cannot be exactly predicted without ultrasound or ovulation kit, therefore age of the fetus is calculated by first day of the last menstrual periods.
The same date is used for all ultrasound calculation and calculation of the expected date of delivery.
Feeling pain, cramps and tightness in the lower abdomen is common in early pregnancy. It is not a sign of miscarriage.
I will suggest you to get a transvaginal ultrasound done to confirm the exact gestation age and rule out any abortion.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 31 hours later
Hello...can u tell.me what are d precaution taken during 3month of pregnancy.I m a working lady.I have travel daily 150 km.is there any effect on my baby due to this travelling.what medicines needed for me now.Plz tell me d date of divert.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Travelling is allowed in pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, you should avoid lifting heavy objects and heavy exertion.
Rest, no special precaution is needed.
Traveling in pregnancy is allowed, however you should avoid bumpy and jerky roads.
There is no side effects on the fetus due to travelling if the road is smooth.
You should take only folic acid 5 mg tablet daily in first trimester of pregnancy.
Your delivery date is 7/3/2017.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 20 hours later
Hello man,this is my 1st pregnancy.can u tell me d medicines which are used for abortion...is there any side effects of taking these medicines??? what is d safest time to take these medicine.if I abort d fetus...is there any complicate for further conceive????plz mam suggest me...I need ur help .mechanical abortion is gud or chemical pill??? plz suggest how.to.abort d fetus
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mifepristone and misoprostol

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Medicines used for medical abortion are mifepristone and misoprostol.
These can be taken up to7 weeks of gestation.
There is no effect on future fertility or chances of conception later after taking this pill.
Complications of taking these medications are excessive bleeding, incomplete abortion, or no abortion, in which case surgical procedure should be done to complete the abortion.
Both surgical and medical abortion can be done in less than7 weeks gestational age, however this needs to be decided only after proper examination and investigations by an OBGYN specialist.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D