How long does shingles take to go away?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: I'ge had shingles for 45 days when does it go away? What more can I say I've had shingles for 45days and there is no let up I take pain meds and meds for nerves endings.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 hours later
Hi
Thanks for writing in.
Shingles is a viral infection to start with but even after the virus clears the nerve inflammation stays for a pretty long time. It is quite irritating to the patient but we can only give medicines to relieve the nerve-induced pain. Common medicines used are gabapentin, pregabalin, aminotryptilline, carbamazepine, etc. I am sure you are having one or more of these. There is no specific medicine to facilitate the healing process.
Sometimes it can take upto 6 months for the pain to go away totally.
Since 45 days are already past, I hope that the intensity will start reducing soon.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further follow-up queries, if any.