How long does Methamphetamine stay in the body?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: I did meth last Friday morning -very stupid I know and I have liver blood testing on Thursday morning. Will there be any sign of meth use?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions to clarify

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I want to clarify - are you having a serum (blood) drug test, or a test for liver function (liver enzymes such as AST and ALT)?

Also, how did you take the methamphetamine, and have you used recently before this?

And - has your liver function been Ok previously?

Do you drink alcohol?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
Liver function test, haven't used in 20 years. I smoked meth. Liver function ok previously
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About liver enzymes.

Detailed Answer:
Ok - this information helps.

Methamphetamine is hard on the liver and can raise liver enzymes. Elevated liver enzymes (which is from the liver cells being inflamed and spilling out these enzymes) can take a few weeks to return to normal. It isn't like a drug test that picks up on whether a drug has been in your body during a certain length of time. It is more a matter of how much damage it does, and the repair which will usually take weeks.

That said, however, if your liver function has been good, and you don't drink, and you haven't used meth for many years, the liver damage may be small and so the liver enzymes may not be remarkably elevated.

Liver enzyme elevation is non-specific, so an elevation does not show that a person has used a particular substance. It only shows that the liver is upset/inflamed.

The bigger concern is whether your liver will be in good shape to handle the Actemra infusion. So see how they are on Thursday, and if they are elevated, I imagine your doctor will want to retest them later (a few weeks) and give the infusion then.

I won't give a lecture on not using meth: I imagine you know how damaging it is to the body, mind, and general health. I'll just say that you may want to get into a program so that if you have temptation again in the future you have resources to help you avoid using again. I am glad you had not used in 20 years before this. But it is a hard drug to stay off of.

I hope this information helps. Good luck on Thursday.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
If the last time I used was last friday will it be out of my system by thursday?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it will be out of your system.

Detailed Answer:
After smoking methamphetamine, it usually takes the body between 3 - 5 days to clear out the drug and it's metabolites (break down products). However, if the issue is the effect on liver enzymes, that is not dependent on how long meth is in the body. It is dependent on how long it takes the liver to regenerate new hepatocytes (liver cells) and this is usually a matter of a few weeks.