How long can i use Skin lite cream for pimple scars?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have black spots on my face and due to frequent plucking of pimples my faces has potholes which came in aroung 22 years of my age , i am 38/m know and one of my relative suggested skin lite cream , i have been using this for around 10 days know and their is a very much visible difference on my face ( pot hole have got erased and black spots vanished)

How long should i contiinue with this cream , are their any after effects of using this cream
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a dermatologist before using it

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

The cream (skinlite) that you have been using is a triple drug combination of mometasone, tretinoin and hydroquinone. It is a prescription product. Dermatologist's commonly prescribe this combination for facial hyperpigmentation/ melasma.

However, it is not meant for regular use and should never be used without a dermatologist's advice and in any case not for more than 2-3 months because if used indiscriminately the steroid content of this cream can cause various side effects like acne, photosensitivity, skin thinning and telangiectasia and facial hair growth (hirsutism) which is specially troublesome in females.

Though it is an effective cream for facial hyperpigmentation but I doubt it would erase pot holes. Anyway, it should never be used without a doctors prescription and you should definitely consult a dermatologist before using it any further. Only a dermatologist would be able to recognise early signs of steroid abuse which can be easily missed by others.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj