Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

How is pain under the ribcage treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
43 yr old female, I have pain under my left ribcage. It is sharp and has grown more uncomfortable the past three days. I eat a gluten free and low sugar diet, and take a low dose of levoxl for autoimmune thyroid disease. Two weeks ago, had a low grade fever on and off for several days. Thought it was stress related because my upstairs AC went out and I slept downstairs on couch for a little over a week waiting for parts, etc for the new unit.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 48 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

With prior history of fever for a few days, the pain in your ribcage could be due to the following issues :-

1. The pain could be musculoskeletal inflammation - if it increases on specific movements or actions of the body, or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎

2. Pneumonitis OR pleuritis : if the pain increases on XXXXXXX breaths and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.
This condition can be managed with rest for a few days, Ibuprofen (dosage as mentioned above), Clarityn tablets once a day for a few days.

In case the symptoms fail to improve , you might need a few blood tests and a Chest Xray to rule out pneumonia.

You might consider to consult your doctor for a physical examination and the above tests, based on which he might prescribe a course of antibiotics for a few days.

I hope this helps.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor