Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

How is knee and muscle pain treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
Hi...I am 39yr old female. Height 5'4", weight 200lbs. Not super active, but have worked cleaning houses for many years. I have severe pain around my knee area (towards the back). This has been happening for about a month. I visited the ER recently and xrays were taken. I was told nothing was found on xray and to treat as a sprain and perform RICE therapy. This has not resolved. I get severe muscle / tendon spasms at night and notice during these episodes that the tendon (believe it is semi-tendinosus) is stretched very tight. Massage of the area eventually releases the spasm and I can sleep. During the day, pain is severe enough that it causes me to limp. What could this be? And what treatment options are available?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 3 hours later

Thanks for your query.

The condition you are referring to seems very specific about spasm of
hamstring muscles. semitendinosus is a muscle from this group. We
shall first try to reason the pain and spasm. As mentioned you are
slightly obese for your height. Secondly, your work must have had
pressure changes and shifts on your knee and adjoining muscles/tendons
that invariably in a long run result in fatigue.

Now that Rest-Ice-Crepe support-Elevation therapy seems useless, no
point continuing that. If spasm continues long enough it results in
cramps. The other reasons for this could be dehydration, loss of
minerals like calcium and potassium.Do get an mri of knee joint done without
further delay to rule out any intra articular pathology.

Meanwhile carry on massaging the spasm area with liniments, hot
fomentation, drink plenty of fluids preferably orange juice with added
salt or fresh coconut water, stretch the knee regularly and take
calcium supplements.

If pain is severe use anti inflammatory medicines in combination with
muscle relaxants under your physicians guidance and foremost priority
should be given to weight reduction.

Do get back to us for further query and kindly mail us the soft copy
of previous x XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor