What causes sharp pain in the left shoulder?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had pretty sharp pain under my left shoulder blade for the past three days. I was thinking a pulled muscle but I am wondering if it could be something else. It seems to be a little high to be an organ but I am not sure. It is at the bottom of my shoulder blade ( left side), it feels better with a heating pad and doesn't hurt when I am sitting upright but it hurts really bad when trying to lay down and sleep.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
likely muscle injury

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The posterior aspect of the lung would be the only organ in that area. Conditions affecting the lungs would usually also present with respiratory symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath etc

It is likely, as you thought, muscle related, this is likely since it improves with the application of heat and worsened with pressure from laying down.

The heat should be continued along with the advil though if the advil is not helping you can try aleve or voltaren.
Paracetamol can be added for additional pain relief. Avoiding any aggravating activities would be important.

If it is very severe then you may need a prescription for a muscle relaxant from your doctor

It can sometimes take at least 2 weeks for muscle injuries to improve.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions