• question-icon

    How can uncontrolled high blood pressure be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a friend that is 90 years old. I have been taking her to the dentist for some work, when they check her blood pressure three weeks ago it was 152/72, last week it was 155/56, yesterday it was 165/76. I am concerned because of the increase in the top number. Should I be concerned. Some days she says she just doesn't feel right, but can't say what the problem is
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your friend's blood pressure values are above the normal ranges.

But, some isolated values of high blood pressure do not indicate uncontrolled high blood pressure.

For this reason, I would recommend you to closely monitor her blood pressure values frequently during the day for an entire week(in sitting position after 10 minutes of total relax) and write those values down.

If her blood pressure values are persistently high (above 140/90 mm Hg), I would recommend consulting with her attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests to investigate for secondary causes of high blood pressure:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- fasting glucose for diabetes
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance
- PCR and ESR for inflammation.

If all the above tests result normal and her blood pressure are high, you should discuss with her doctor on starting anti-hypertensive therapy or increasing the doses if she is actually taking any anti-hypertensive drugs, in order to have a better control of her blood pressure values.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Ilir Sharka


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 7415 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Glucose

doctor1 MD

Hello i just want you guys to explain to me my URINALYSIS RESULT...thanks in advance Color: Yellow Reaction: Acidic (6.0ph) Transparency: Slightly...

doctor1 MD

Hello there. Doctors thought ive might of had a miscarriage two weeks ago as I rang up worried about the bleeding I had which wasn t my normal...

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... I had kidney transplant in dec 2009 and doing well in all...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have a question regarding insulin resistance and dehydration. I m a Type 1 Insulin Dependent diabetic. Have been for nearly 16 years. My...

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from dehydration for a month and a half. The problem is when I get fluids from the ER, it comes back again because I have...

doctor1 MD

I have fluttering in My upper stomach while sitting. Don't notice while standing. It appears worse when I breath out. Does not hurt just flutters

doctor1 MD

Can I reverse a possible chance that I have Typ 2 diebetties ?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

122 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ilir Sharka
  • Q - What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...

  • Q - Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure

  • Q - Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD

  • Q - Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms

  • Q - What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?

  • Q - What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?

  • Q - What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?

  • Q - What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?

  • Q - Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?