How can severe cough and cold in a child be treated?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
My 8 months daughter is having coughing (khansi) and cold from last 2 weeks. Please advice medicine
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give some antiallergic with cough syrup

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.
I would like to know if there is any fever, breathing difficulty or sputum production with cough.
Sometimes cough persists longer and it improves with antiallergic like cetrizine with some cough syrup containing Ambroxol a sputum thinning agent and terbutaline/salbutamol a bronchodilator which helps in preventing airway spasm.
I would like to know if she is getting any medicines or any investigation if done earlier.
The dose of medicines in children is based on weight.
I suggest you to get her evaluated by a pediatrician if not done earlier and also fir prescription of medications.

Please get back with the answers so that I better able to help you out.

Follow-up: How can severe cough and cold in a child be treated? 20 hours later
Thanks for your reply. and here are the details you asked for
1. Her weight is 8.25 Kg.
2. No fever no sputum but yes breathing difficulty is there
3. had investigation 2 weeks before and taking medicine "Alex-P"

Please advice any medicine

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please get him examined by a pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hi

As there is breathing difficulty, I would suggest you to get him examined by a pediatrician. Breathing difficulty like rapid breathing or chest retraction can be due to involvement of lower respiratory tract.
She may need nebulisation or some bronchodilator which helps on relieving airway spasm. XXXXXXX P contains chlorpheniramine an antiallergic with cough suppressant dextromethorphan and phenylephrine a decongestant. She may need to give bronchodilator like salbutamol or long acting antiallergic like montelukast and cetrizine combination.

So in view of prolonged cough and breathing difficulty it would be better to give medications based on examination finding.
Please let me know about the further proceedings and also if you have any other query.