Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

How can i get relief from painful hip with swelling and pain in knee after an injury ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hi, I fell onto my left hip a week ago on a stone floor and although the fall was very heavy only a slight bruise has appeared, however, my hip is moderately painful and I also have pain in my groin which at times depending on my activity is quite painful. I have now developed pain in my left knee and swelling which I am assuming is because of my altered gait due to the hip.
Any suggestions on what I should do? I am 57 and a runner but have not been able to run since this accident.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

From the symptoms that you have described, four types of injuries to the hip should be kept in mind. These include muscle strain, bursitis (inflammation of the bursae that protect and cushion your joints), dislocation of the joint and stress fracture joint (although it causes severe pain and swelling but symptoms may be moderate if there is a small hair line fracture).

My suggestion is that you should consult an orthopedician and get an X-ray and MRI hip and left upper leg done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on your hip and knee and take some prescription from your doctor. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. These include:

1)     Give complete rest to the part
2)     Avoid bearing weight on the left hip (standing, walking, etc.)
3)     You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the hip joint

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor