Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

How can hepatitis-C be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1419 Questions
I am 62 year old male and just found out I must of had hep c years. My doctor refuses to treat me and my insurance will not pay for the treatment and the insurance will not pay. I have developed a drinking problem .
I found out I have damage to my liver. What should I do. Will I be dead in the next 10 years? What should I do?
Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs anti viral treatment if cirrhosis hasn't establised

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you need to have detailed workup with fresh viral serologies by ELISA and if possible by PCR to look for viral load.

A baseline ultrasound is a must to look for liver status and portal vein. INR and albumin monitoring to look for liver functions is also needed. If possible can be treated with oral antivirals therapy and it should be done at any cost because health is first priority.

Meanwhile quiting alcohol is necessary and for that you can have group therapy or sessions with motivational psychologists. Wishing you a healthy life.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can hepatitis-C be treated? 2 hours later
Can you predict if I will be here in the next to 1-10 years? Never in my life did I think I would die this way. It is very depressing.

My parents lived to be in there 90"S. When you said that my situation is sad. Does that mean that I am past the point of currying the hep c and will be dead in a few years? Please let me know.

my daughter was only an infant and was killed in an accident 17 years ago today with my girlfriend.

Both my parents a deceased and I have know relatives or close friends.

If you think I am past the point of being cured from the Hep c. I need to start making funeral arrangements.

Please let me know what you think?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to presumed like that and you should arrange treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi! It's very preliminary or early to make such assumptions. The list of tests that I have shared with you will determine what kind of treatment options do you need. These include both cure and supportive treatments. Stage of progression of disease and it's prompt identification and action is mandatory. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can hepatitis-C be treated? 11 hours later
I have been told that I already have I have cirrhosis of the liver. I do not know how bad it is what should I do? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral antivirals can slow down cirrhosis by clearing virus

Detailed Answer:
Hi! At earlier stages of cirrhosis the supportive treatment can prolong liver survival and even oral antivirals can be used to clear virus to avoid further damage and supportive therapy can then be continued.

Grading of cirrhosis is done according to child Pugh classification and for that the necessary parameters are among the tests we had discussed earlier and based on that stage A can have good long term survival.

MELD scoring may also be done ito put on transplant list however you have to quit alcohol to avoid any further damage to the liver. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can hepatitis-C be treated? 7 hours later
My Molina insurance will not pay for any treatment as long as I am drinking and that is a challenge! Is the grading of the damage done by blood test or does it required hospital stay?

I maybe past the point of no return if I need a liver transplant I cannot afford that and will just be put in my grave.

It was a year ago that I had hep c. I broke arm and the live doctor wanted to wait I went back and he said I had cirrhosis of the liver after heavy drinking after my 'Mom died. He stated that I had probably had hep c since the 1950's but when I started drinking heavy that is caused the cirrhosis of the liver and would not treat me since I was drinking. I have had the cirrhosis for only for about a year so maybe I wont die. Please tell me what you think.

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Quiting alcohol at this stage is a must

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Based on the details you have shared at this stage quiting alcohol is unavoidable for you as it can not only lead to speedy deterioration of liver structure but can cost you your life.

If insurance is willing to enroll you for treatment expenses if you quit alcohol then it's not a huge price to pay. Liver transplant option can only be streamlined by a transplant surgeon who can look at all parameters of your health and comorbids and then will decide accordingly.

Even with supportive treatment, life expectancy can extend upto years but with good treatment compliance. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor