How can heart failure be treated?

Posted on Tue, 29 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My daughter, age 49, was diagnosed with heart failure a number of years ago. The only treatment advised was for her to lose weight and cut down on her salt. Now, about 8 years later, she spends most of her time in bed because she is too weak to function for more than 10 tip 20 minutes at a time. What can I do to help her?
My e-mail address is: YYYY@YYYY . Thank you for any suggestions
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explan as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I am sorry to hear about your daughter's disease and would like to explain that when considering heart failure severity, it is necessary to carefully investigate the overall cardiac performance and exclude any potential extra-cardiac causes responsible for the limited physical performance.

First a careful physical examination would be helpful at revealing possible signs and symptoms of heart failure most commonly systemic congestion (limbs edema, pulmonary congestion), and signs of hypoperfusion (mental confusion, dizziness, cold extremities, etc.).

Checking her blood pressure values would be a rational initial marker for investigating potential hypoperfusion or uncontrolled hypertension.

An actual cardiac ultrasound would be necessary to clarify the exact structural and functional cardiac abnormalities, its progression during the recent years, the implication of cardiac dysfunction on her actual clinical symptomatology and what is most important to properly tailor the correct medical therapy.

In addition several medical tests are required as follows:

- complete blood count,
- PCR,
- chest X ray study,
- fasting blood glucose,
- thyroid hormones level,
- liver and renal function tests,
- blood electrolytes level,
- arterial blood gas analysis,
- pulmonary function tests

After reviewing the above mentioned tests and having a careful physical exam, it would be possible to conclude properly on the exact severity of heart failure syndrome and the necessary therapeutic steps to follow.

You need to discuss with her attending cardiologist on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist