How can dry cough in a child be treated?

Pediatrician
Question
my 4.5 year old son has been having dry cough since the last 3 days. it seems to worsen at night. threw up his entire dinner two nights in a row. have been giving him home remedies like ginger and honey and also homeopathic cough syrup Strodal. the cough appears to have worsened today. what can I give him to cause the cough to go.
Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms including croup are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and giving Montair LC Kid (monteleukast + levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 40 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Give paracetamol or acetaminophen to bring down the temperature as well as for headache. Also give tepid sponging. Personal hygiene is important.

Please be patient. It may take a few more days before recovery occurs.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: How can dry cough in a child be treated? 9 hours later
have been giving him steam too but his cough has not subsided. he again threw up his lunch too today. will giving him montair LC kid/ cetrizine help reduce the cough?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will take some time. Be patient.

Detailed Answer:
How many days is it from the start? Please note that it is going to last for 5-7 days and so you need to be patient. You need to give montair LC kid/ cetrizine but do not assume that the cough will miraculously disappear in a day.