How can a pimple like spot on the gums be treated?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 12 Sep 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Im 31. 2 weeks ago, I noticed what looked like a pimple on my gum next to my tooth. I pressed on it and it popped and blood came out. It got smaller and almost went away, but there is still a tiny lump that looks like it has a white head. It does not hurt. I haven't popped it again and it's not as big as it was to begin with, but still there. I'm scared it's gum cancer. A year and a half ago, I had a similar situation in the same spot on my gum. They said my crown from a root canal needed redone because bacteria was getting in there. They redid the crown and it went away. But, this time it doesn't seem to fill up and pop as much. Is this the same thing again or does it look like gum cancer? I attached a picture.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not cancer, looks like abscess only.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

I have viewed the image and it looks like either a gum abscess or due to re- Infection in tooth..

An x ray should be done for further confirmation..

As far as cancer is concerned, it is not at all any cancer so just relax..

For now apply Chlorhexidine oral gel over it and do warm saline gargles..

A localised cleaning of the gum can also help..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj