How can a cyst in the mid calf be treated?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What does it mean to have a complex cyst mid calf.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
heterogenous cyst

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.

A complex cyst means a swelling or collection of mixed type of material- some thick solid and some fluid liquid content.

As against this,a simple cyst contains only liquid material.

If a blood clot has been ruled out,then this can be a long standing ganglion cyst,a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma.

Cysts arising from the muscle tissue (myomas) and nerve (neuromas) also need to be considered.

You can get a MRI of the cyst done to see the extent and origin of the cyst.

To confirm the diagnosis,either a aspiration cytology or a excisional biopsy is recommended.

You should consult a general surgeon for further management.

Do let me know the reports once they are ready.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy