Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

History of Ulcerative Colitis, Colon Cancer, Gallbladder disease with multiple stones. Having constant pelvic pain with nausea. Concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions

I am a 49 year old female, history of Ulcerative Colitis, Colon Cancer, Gallbladder disease with multiple stones. Have had my large colon and over 1/3rd of my small colon removed. Having constant abdo/pelvic pain with nausea. Bloodwork shows elevated liver enzymes and multiple phleboliths. Should I be concerned.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs further investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

I do understand your concern after going through so many major surgeries. You have not mentioned the details of your liver function report. But based on your history of getting nausea and constant pelvic scan, if I were your treating doctor, I would advise you for a CT/MRI scan of your abdomen to be sure that there is no spread of your primary disease to any other intra-abdomnal organs specially the liver. Further management would depend on the reports.

On the phleboliths, I may say that this is not an uncommon finding specially in women which may be benign lesions and nothing much might have to be done. However in your case, considering your past history I would also hint to the radiologist to give equal attention to the phleboliths while examining the CT/MRI scan.

I hope this information will help you in discussing with your doctor and deciding on further course of action. Till then, you can go for an anti emetic agent, along with a proton pump inhibitor and a probiotic agent till you are further investigated.

Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for your health query. Good luck and take care. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor