Hi! I took plan b about 2 weeks ago, and

Question
Hi! I took plan b about 2 weeks ago, and on Tuesday, I got my period again. This is the time I should have been ovulating. Do I count the time starting this period now, as when I ovulate again? Also, I've had a very heavy period with this. Not so much cramps and pain, but heavy blood flow with clots. It's going on the 3rd day of this kind of bleeding. I would think there couldn't be much blood left. Is this normal? Should I be concerned that I'm hemorrhaging?
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is normal with plan B

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
I have read your question, and I understand your concern regarding Plan B usage.

It is one of the worst drugs for females because it affects the hormonal, menstrual, psychological and emotional state of the person who takes it. Thus you have so heavy bleeding, with clots. The ovulation is postponed, and the cycle is going through a new schedule, the one you set when you use plan B.

So, I would say that what you are experiencing now with Plan B is normal for the side effects of the drug.

I would highly recommend you to use condoms next time, or even regular contraceptives, but please avoid Plan B.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.

Follow-up: Hi! I took plan b about 2 weeks ago, and 16 hours later
Hi. So yesterday I went to the doctor and the gave me some birth control because my cycle was so messed up from plan b. I was feeling much better last night and we had intercouse. I'm still bleeding a very little. But my problem is the condom wasn't effective I don't think, and he had already ejaculatd inside me. With these two messed up periods should I be worried about pregnancy. Where would my ovulation fall?
My first period was from Dec 25-28
My second period caused from plan b was/is from the 9-now.
Am I safe? I know I can't take plan b again. Will the birth control pills they gave me yesterday help? Am I worrying over nothing?

Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The possibility of pregnancy is very low

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
I understand your concern about the intercourse you had last night.

Condoms in themselves are safe in up to 97-99% of the cases. That is if the condom doesn't break.

When you say it wasn't effective, do you mean it was broken and it leaked semen? If not, then it is safe.

The birth control drugs need at least one month to start kicking in and working properly. So they don't provide coverage or protection during this time.

The fact that your ovulation is messed up and that you are on the second day of your cycle (the new one starting with the 9th of January) makes it quite improbable to be pregnant. It is in very rare cases of multiple orgasms when an ovulation may happen out of the scheduled time in the menstrual cycle.

Summing this up, the condom protection and the low probability of ovulation in the first days of the cycle, I think it is very unlikely to be pregnant. But still, there is a very low possibility. Please be careful in the future, and don't have unprotected intercourse. Use condoms and make sure they are not broken.

Hope I have answered your question. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.

Follow-up: Hi! I took plan b about 2 weeks ago, and 22 minutes later
It was broken during intercouse somehow, so basically we had nothing to protect us when he ejaculatd. I know that I have to be careful. And I usually am by tracking my period which is pretty accurate. But with the plan b and now the new birth control I just don't know where I lie as far as ovulation? Is it possible to ovulate during this period? Is the possibility of pregnancy pretty low in my case?

Answered by Dr. Eni 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, pretty low

Detailed Answer:
With Plan B and the start of birth control, the probability is very very low.

This is as much as I can say now. Eventually, you can judge yourself, if you have any early pregnancy symptoms like nausea, fatigue, morning sickness, being sensitive to various smells etc, but I reckon the possibility of this to be close to zero.

I wish you good health! Hope this situation will pass as soon as possible!
Manoku Eni M.D.

Follow-up: Hi! I took plan b about 2 weeks ago, and 23 hours later
In a little confused with my cycle due to the plan b. So, did I have to periods in one month? Where does my ovulation lie than? Two weeks after the first period or does it start over with the second period and come two weeks after that? Did the plan b (taken XXXXXXX 4th) just push back the ovulation say a week so I could be ovulating right now? Is the new birth control going to help me get back on track? Should I take another plan b just to be safe that I'm not pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Eni 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have just started another cycle

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

What has happened is that your menstrual cycle has been restarted to the 9th of this number. It will be more stable, especially with the take of contraceptives, and you will be safe to have unprotected sex after 7 days from the first pill you took. Be sure to take them regularly.

Plan B is most effective the first 24 hours after intercourse, and its efficacy falls to less than 10% about 72 hours after the intercourse. After 72 hours there is no effect from Plan B.

It's your decision if you want to take another plan b. It will mess up your hormones and cycle again, but it may give you some reassurance about contraception.

Manoku Eni M.D.

Follow-up: Hi! I took plan b about 2 weeks ago, and 5 hours later
I took the plan b to put my mind at ease bit now I'm scared of the side effects. Will it cause a problem with the other birth control I'm taking. I should have never googled it. I'm scared of having a heart attack and dying or something. An I going to be okay?

Answered by Dr. Eni 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are going to be ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

If you smoke, stop during these days. If you can quit altogether, would even be better since you have started birth control pill.
Side effects caused by both drugs are rare. But the biggest problem now is that you have a huge load of hormones in your body, and this makes you emotionally unstable. You worry about too much things, react inappropriately, and may be laughing for nothing.

Try to be close you someone and ask them to take care of you. I wouldn't worry about heart attack or dying at all.

Wish you get better soon!
Manoku Eni M.D.

Follow-up: Hi! I took plan b about 2 weeks ago, and 21 minutes later
Hi. Yes. I worry too much, but I've had a lot of medical issues in the past and it's hard to not worry, especially when I have done this too myself. It's been a tough week with the excessive bleeding and I'm scared of this happening again. But I'm hoping the birth control pills given to me will help regulate that. I just hope I didn't screw up my system forever. I'm 37 and nervous that I'm getting to old to have kids. I'm in a great relationship but the timing isn't right at all right now. I'd rather take a pill now then worry for a month until I may or may not get my period. I know I have to be more careful. I'm just nervous about the birth control at my age affecting me negatively. Thanks for your kindness and patience. I'm not sure what you meant by reacting inappropriately or laughing at nothing but I do over react. I'm working on that.

Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I agree with you

Detailed Answer:
Dear,

What I meant is that you will be very emotional with ups and downs when reacting to situations around you. And you don't have to worry about this, because it's a normal effect of the hormonal load you have received.

I understand it's been a tough month, and I sincerely hope that things will work out for you both.

Best wishes!

Manoku Eni M.D.

Follow-up: Hi! I took plan b about 2 weeks ago, and 2 days later
Hi! So I'm going to try sticking with the birthcontol they gave me. Maybe it will help with my periods and I won't have to worry about accidents anymore but I'm worried about blood clots with my age. 38. I don't smoke but I'm not very physically active. Are blood clots possible? How long does it take for blood clots to form once you start talking the pill? I an having pains in my leg. I'm quite nervous.

Answered by Dr. Eni 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
With today's generation of birth control pills, the risk is very low.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

First of all, I am glad that you are better and that you have gone through the tough period of plan b. Birth control pills will definitely help with your period, and very soon you will start feeling better.

Regarding blood clots, it has been a historical side effect. But contraceptives nowadays, use so little estrogen (hormone) that it is more probable for a pregnant woman to have blood clots than for a non pregnant woman that is using contraceptives. And you have just started! I am confident that you are not having a blood clot. Still, if you feel a stabbing pain in your leg, which in turn becomes swollen and red, then you may need to visit your doctor.

It is a very good thing that you do not smoke. But I would highly recommend you to do some physical activity. Not just for the prevention of blood clots, even though these are the main concern for you now, but also for your health in general— emotional and physical. Just a walk in the park or around the city, will lower your stress, cholesterol, toxins and will make you feel way better and relieved.

I hope I have helped you. Wish you the best and good health!

Manoku Eni M.D.