Hi, I am 18. My last period started 01/12/18 and

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2019 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I am 18. My last period started 01/12/18 and ended on 08/12/18. I should've began my next cycle on 31/01/19. I am now 8 days late as of today the 06/01/19. Ive been having period-like cramps in my abdominal region for about a wk. Theyre not quite as strong as ones I normally have with my period, and yet are strong enough to be noticed. They are comparable to slight cramps you get a few days before your period, but it's been over a week and still nothing. Just slight cramping pains and a full pressure feeling. The cramping is at random times of the day and lasts maybe 30 secs each. Ive been thinkin my periods coming, and yet it hasn't yet. Ive also been havin a thick white discharge for the past few days thats makin me feel dry, slightly sore nipples, slight constipation, diarrhea
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. There are many possible causes for a late period, including stress, and it can be normal for periods to vary from 21 to 35 days. Even if you missed one period, it wouldn't necessarily be important to investigate why. However, the first thing you would want to rule out is pregnancy. If there is any chance you are pregnant, I would check a pregnancy test.

If you are not pregnant, then it would be safe to wait. If you missed your period for 3 months or more, than you should be evaluated for causes of this. Your doctor would likely want to check your hormone levels, including your thyroid, and possibly get an ultrasound to look your uterus and ovaries to look for polycystic ovarian syndrome or scarring inside your uterus.

Cramping and nipple tenderness would suggest pregnancy, so I would make sure to check for that. Thick white discharge, especially if it is associated with itching, may be from a yeast infection, so I would suggest using clotrimazole cream once daily inside the vagina for 7 days.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be glad to discuss it further with you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 13 hours later
I have another question that is not connected to the first one. Sometimes I have sever acne on my scalp and i have no idea what produces it and how to prevent/stop them. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and i dont have a greasy hair type, my hair is long and thick.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
It would be hard to say without an examination. Can you take a picture of the lesions and send it?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 3 hours later
Unfortunately, I don’t currently have it. It come and goes periodically but I havent noticed a pattern of appearance. It is like facial acne, but very painful and filled with puff, usually right above the neck area.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
This would just be a guess, but there is a complication of a fungal infection called kerion that might fit the description you give. It is treated with anti-fungal pills, but it may help to use an anti-fungal shampoo to prevent it. If you get it again, I would recommend you contact us again with a picture and we may be able to give you a more clear diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help any way I can.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad