Herpes appeared on buttock. Will it be safe to go for hip replacement operation?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I am due to have a hip replacement operation tomorrow and last Thursday got one of my recurring bouts of herpes on my left buttock The operation is on my right hip. Is this going to affect them going ahead with it please
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

You are suffering from herpes zoster, caused by varicella zoster virus.
This virus is also responsible for chicken pox in childhood (may also occur in adults).
This virus remains in dormant phase in nervous system and may get reactivation during immunosprressive states such as fever, exposure to sun, anemia, following chemotherapy and radiotherapy, during menses, post surgical phase.
These lesions are very painful and followed by presence of blisters in affected area.
These lesions have active duration of 5-7 days, after which scabbing starts spontaneously.
Antiviral medicines helps in faster recovery and prevent development of severe pain.

Herpes zoster is a skin pathology and won't affect your hip replacement surgery.
You should consult to XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ dermatologist and should take proper treatment.
You should apply antiviral (acyclovir) ointment along with steroid for faster recovery.
You should also take antiviral medication in oral form.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava