• question-icon

Could the blistering rashes on the hip area be due to shingles?

My husband 93 yrs has developed a blistering rash 2weeks back on his right hip area which is not itchy nor painful.he said it was painful before but not now.Dr thought it was related to shingles n advised to apply acyclovir twice daily.still blisters occur.what can it be? No contact history.recently one of wound swab from the gluteal region grew MRSA though he was asymtomatic.
Thu, 28 Nov 2019

It may be shingles...also called herpes zoster most probably. Consult the dermatologist for the perfect diagnosis and proper treatment. I would recommend you to take acyclovir 800 mg tab thrice a day. Apply silver Sulfadiazine cream. Take a course of oral steroid in tapering dose to prevent post herpetic neuralgia.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ilyas Patel, Dermatologist