Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Hematuria diagnosed with urine test, thickening of bladder wall. CT scan of lower abdomen, pelvic shows heart, kidney & organs fine. What caused thickening?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions
My 63 yeard old husband went to the doctor. A urine test revealed hematuria(sp?), no infection. His XXXXXXX prostrate test revealed no abnormaldies. He received a CT scan of the lower abdoman, pelvic with contrast which revealed that his heart, kidneys and other organs were fine. The only finding was thickening of the bladder wall. He is scheduled to see a urologist. What causes this thickening and what could this mean?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later

There is a protocol for hematuria evaluation starting from basic tests like urine analysis, to endoscopy of the bladder (cystoscopy) to find out the reason for the blood in urine.
Bladder wall thickening means he has cystitis (infection of urine in the bladder).
CT scan is an advanced test and is usually done to rule out cancer in the urinary tract. Since cancer is serious, need early detection to be curable and also it is common in the western countries, doctors usually evaluate aggressively to look for a possible cause for hematuria.
In his case, as there is only cystitis, the doctor most probably will prescribe a course of antibiotics after doing urine culture test.
If this happens repeatedly, the urologist might consider an operation on the prostate gland (TURP).
So, there is nothing to panic and no need to attend ER. Kindly XXXXXXX your doctor in the scheduled appointment and get well soon.

Best wishes
Dr G Srinivasan.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor