Having throat pain. No use of using antibiotics. What could be the cause?

Dr. Abhishek Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Pain in throat that is not going away with Antibitics - whenever I speak or exert a little bit - left area of my neck around Adam's XXXXXXX pains
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 40 hours later
Brief Answer: Get thyroid function test Detailed Answer: Hello, You have a throat pain not going away with antibiotics and you are on thyronorm tablet. You should get done Thyroid function test. The pain could be because of thyroiditis i.e. acute inflammation in thyroid gland. You may require oral steroid for few days like 10 days in tapering dose according to your weight. This will relieve your pain. In addition, if the pain is because of some inflammation in the airway, then also steroid dosage will help and give a good relief. If you have a barking kind of dry cough then there are more chances of it being an airway inflammation. The third thing could be due to reflux of stomach contents into throat i.e. heart burn. You should take antacid and antireflux medication. Avoid smoking, alcohol. Get an ENT consultation done. IF in doubt, do reply.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E