Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Having swelling and pain on lower part of rectum. Any advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Hi Doctor,. I usually take veg food. but travelling london last week, I took non veg. back office now, i am having swelling and pain on lower part of rectum[ one side only] pain on deification. I am told by doctor friend to take Ciplox TZ for 3 days along with Smuth. I didnot get the Smuth. Advice on the above please.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 52 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Rectal pain and pain during defecation are mostly caused by anal fissure. This condition is caused by constipation and pushing on stool. It results with superficial tearing of anus and lefts some kind of wound. Some blood in stool can appear.
Your symptoms can be also caused by hemorrhoids or diverticulitis (very characteristic for it is pain in lower left abdomen).
If you suffer only of pain localized in the rectal area, and no abdominal pain, nausea, constipations, weight lost, blood mixed in stool (fissure causes fresh blood on the surface of the stool) the fissure it is. If any of mentioned symptoms appears, abdominal ultrasound, full blood work and colonoscopy is necessary (if blood level of WBC will be increased and pain in lower left abdomen, the colonoscopy should be performed after recovery from inflammation).
To treat fissure you should:
- avoid constipations, keep your stool soft and do not push hard on stool
- increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water
- have more physical activity
- wash your rectal area after every stool and keep it clean and dry
- Quercus Cortex baths twice a day can be very helpful
- ask your doctor about Nitroglycerin gel and Xylocain gel
Such treated fissure should get healed in a week or so.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor