Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Having severe pain in throat. Swelling in glands, neck, cheek and sore blisters. Fever. Took medicines. Could I ask a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1561 Questions
I went to a Dr because for 2 days had severe pain in my throat,swelling of my glands,swelling on my neck,part of my cheek (all in the right side ) .a few sore blisters all around some fever and I couldn't eat anything because was to painful. I was told that i had Step Throat. I was given Methylprednisolone pack(21) 4mg,Tylenol,Azithromycin tablets 250mg. It been 36hr and im feeling worst. Now i cant even drink water or pass my own saliva. The pain is stronger from my ear to the end of my neck. I can't,eat,swallow or talk ,Its very painful .I also been spitting a lot of thick water- like clear flame -every few seconds.I have to keep mouth close and it fill up quickly and has to spit again.I don't know if i should go to a otolaryngologist or a internist
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drug Dose change, Salt warm water gargle

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms suggest infection (may be pharyngitis) and the pain in ear and neck may be referred pain from the throat.

Being a GP, for my patients with similar complaints I usually advice antibiotic (Azithromycin 500mg since you are allergic to penicillins) along with Acetaminophen 650 mg after food 3 times a day with antihistamine like loratidine BID and montelukast (singulair) 10mg OD.

Along with these you require concentrated salt warm water gargle 4 times a day and steam inhalation three times a day. These may relieve your symptoms.

For your age you require 500mg of azithromycin but you are on 250 mg. Kindly change the dose of it in consultation with your treating doctor.

If no improvement with this antibiotic then you may require other group of antibiotic as this is started as empirical treatment. For choosing the correct antibiotic we can get done culture and sensitivity of the sputum.

If symptoms does not relieved with these then consult your otolaryngologist or a internist for examination and management.

Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor