Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Having severe knee pain. Advised arthiritis. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10460 Questions
hello Dr,

my father age 74 has severe kee pain in the right leg , we have shown the x-ray to few doctors and they advise that he is sufferring with ARTHIRITIS and advised rest and physiotherapy.

but now its been 25 days and there is no improvement in the pain and he is unable to walk freely due to the pain and all activites have been restricted. before this pain occured , he used to livee a normal active life with daily activities including , going to temple , going to office , etc,

also in the past few days there has been weight loss of about 02 kgs . he feels very weak . does not feel of having food . he has also developed pain in the stomach. whenever he has to pass urination, , he feels the urge to pass stools.we have done sonography and endoscopy and DR informed that there is nothin unusual

he is on diabities and mycenia treatment

following medicines currently being taken :

request you to please help us and guide us the treatment procedure

Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that your father is having osteoarthritis of the knee which is an age related degenerative disorder in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The list of medicines that you have provided are related to diabetes, myasthenia, depression, anxiety, gastric upset, urinary problems and related multivitamins.
These medicines will not help him with the pain that he is having.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now he can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength or ibuprofen 600mg after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of the mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
He can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of a physiotherapist once the acute pain subsides.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than the knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with an orthopaedician.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination and proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having severe knee pain. Advised arthiritis. Cure? 2 days later
Dear Dr,

thanks for your reply and advice.

before writing to you , we had already consulted orthopadecian and they advice to take Tab PROXYVON,Movace,UPRISE,METHYCOBAL.

my father tired the medicine for about a week but no relief and so stopped the same .

we request yo to please inform which medicine should he take considering his age of 74 that he has allery to aspirin and that he is on diabitie treatment. (my father was very active before this keen pain which started around 1st week may - he used to go to office daily and do all routine work easily)

also please suggest good ointment , spry or gel which we can apply for pain relief. we have tried voloini , relispray , but no relief .

also some freinds say that if the pain does not go - kee operation is the best solution . please give us your advice

thank you once again
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
He can take a pain killer like Lorox-P ( Lornoxicam and paracetamol) along with knee joint lubricants like Cartigen Duo. Applying Myolaxin spray after a hot fomentation twice daily will also help. It will take around 5-7 days for him to feel a bit better.
The surgical treatment depends on the severity of the problem. It is best to get an MRI scan of the affected knee done to find out the type and severity of problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor