How to treat arthritis problem?

My wife who underwent hysterectomy in 1990 and had remaining ovary removed in 2000 developed arthritis problem ever since and as per her latest condition doctors have advised TKR for both the knees. However, one of the doctors who is happy with the degree of her flexibility in the legs, says, perhaps the TKR could be deferred. She is having pain but may be her pain tolerance limit is high. She has been taking glucosamine for over 5 years now. Can TKR be postponed in this condition or should it be proceeded with? Thanks and regards, V K Naageswaran Husband, Chennai 61
Wed, 27 Nov 2019

If the mobility is present and she can lead a considerably normal life without a replacement now then it is best to postpone it for a few months or years. Regular physiotherapy can help.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon