How can knee osteoarthritis be treated?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: HI, I HAVE OSTEOARTHRITIS OF MY RIGHT KNEE. WHEN I WALK I SUDDENLY GET AN EXTREMELY SHARP PAIN IN THE BACK OF MY KNEE , ISTOP SUDDENLY & SCREAM @ THE SAME TIME. WHEN I SIT, [ [ESPECIALLY ON THE COMMODE] & START TO GET UP THE PAIN HITS ME SO BAD I SCREAM!!! PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS CAUSING THE PAIN. THE PAIN GOES UP MY THIGH & DOWN INTO MY FOOT. I ALSO HAVE ARTHRITIS OF MY LUMBAR 1 & S1 . I SUFFER FROM SICIATIC PAIN. ALSO MY RIGHT LEG JERKS HARD 1 OR 2 TIMES A NIGHT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to osteoarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
From your symptoms it seems that both of your knee joints have undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal