Having rectal bleeding. Prescribed with Hydrocortisone acetate. How do I control?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Constipation
Question: I was having rectal bleeding so I went to the Emergency room they did a CBC and said my blood was fine except I have ITP and my platelets were low 39,000 I take Nplate shots every two weeks . Which works good most of the time. In the emergency room the DR looked in my rectum with a scope and said ,yes I had a bleeding internal Hemorrhoid. He had the nurse give me a hydrocortisone acetate enema. Well the scope test made it l]bleed more. I spent the night and was discharged the next Morning still bleeding. After I was home awhile the bleeding stopped ,but that evening it started a gain. When to bed this morning it was still minor blood then seemed to stop. First stools had son=me blood on them then lessen was I went. .I been using Hydrocortisone acetate 25 mg. suppositories twice aday. They work some what!! I am going to see a gastro DR next week. any sujestions 0n how to better control the bleeding. I am waiting for my Platelets to improve from theNplate shot I took on 11/11/13. They to
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer... Detailed Answer: Hi, In your case, anal bleeding is due to hemorrhoids. The bleeding is not stopping due to low platelets count. Until the platelets would improve, I advise to - use Hydrocortisone suppos.as directed. - monitor the amount of bleeding; if it becomes heavy and have also abdominal or anal pain, seek immediate medical attention - try to avoid constipation (eat foods high in fiber, drink more water, take lactulose and sena folium - I usually recommend this to my patients) At last, please go to ER immediately if you notice anything unusual (uneasy, more bleeding,etc.) Hope this answered to your inquiry! If you have further concerns, do not hesitate to write me back! I'd be happy to assist you further in the next follow up. Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 32 hours later
I took a cbc and my platelets were only 7,000 my dr. a hemotolgist gave me a Nplate shot and and she thought my body had addapted and the she did not recommand any Platelete transfusion just check CBC in a few day. This worries me because I read anything below 10,000 is XXXXXXX what do you feel i should do.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is good that you are keeping in touch with the hematologist. Although the levels of your platelets are lower than 10,000, you are taking the shots to stabilize your levels. So, at this point, I suggest to avoid constipation if you still have rectal bleeding. If not, then, I'd suggest to avoid activities that could cause bruising or bleeding (accidental crashes around home). Be in close contact with the hematologist to evaluate your current situation and do regular check ups as scheduled. All the best to you! If you have more concerns, feel free to write back at the following up. Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E