Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

174 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having pus cells in urine analysis. Should I go for urine culture test?

Answered by
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha


Practicing since :2009

Answered : 4361 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Recently I had urine analysis to check for infection i am 38 years old I have albumin nil, sugar nil, pus cells 3-4 HPF ,epithelial cells 2-3 RBC -nil casts -nil Crystals nil others nil others nil should I go for urine culter test I have done ultra sound whole abdomen things are normal
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: No infection Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Your urine test is normal, it is normal to have up to 5 pus cells in men. There is no indication for you to give a urine culture test, it will come back as no growth. Continue taking your anti hypertensive drugs. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. I wish you good health Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 35 minutes later
drinking lots of water prevents infection and urinary problems can I drink 3 liters a day
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Drink lots of water Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply Yes drinking lots of water helps prevent urinary tract infections , helps to detox your system and prevents kidney stones. You should drink 3 litres of water per day. You must also develop a habit of voiding urine after sexual intercourse and maintain good personal hygiene by retracting your foreskin and cleaning it well daily, this also prevents urinary tract infection However I must add that males less frequently get urinary tract infections. Patients who have diabetes and prostate enlargement are more prone for urinary tract infections I hope I was of help Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Urinary tract infection

doctor1 MD

Hi, I just had my period about a week ago, but I m still finding what looks like blood in my underwear. It s kind of a reddish-brown color, close to the color of cola, and when I wipe, it s on the toilet paper. It also stings when I pee. Could this be the start of a urinary tract infection? If it is, what should I do?

doctor1 MD

I had unprotected sex about a couple of weeks ago. After that time I have been realizing when I have to urinate rather than it just being a normal part of the day. Now it is around time for my period and I think I should just wait to see if my period comes but I have been having slight discomfort. My urine is a very yellow color and I have been having little yellow discharge after I urinate. Recently I wiped before urination to check if there was spotting but there was a clear mucus like discharge before urination then after urination there would be this yellow stuff. I assumed that I have a yeast infection or maybe a urinary infection. I'm not scheduled to see a doctor until May 5 so I was wondering if I should wait things out or take immediate action? Any ideas?

doctor1 MD

hi my daughter is 10 years old.she has urine infection since last two weeks .she feels burning while passing urine with blood.she also had puss cells 20-30.she had urine infection two months ago also.after recovery again same problem.what to do?now she is having chest pain.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My 14 month old daughter is diagnosed with Urinary tract infection.The infection has reached to a critical stage by the time we came to know about it WBC 100, RBC =5-7 with bacteria E.Coli.Then she was admitted and was given IV for three days. After 3 days she was put on an oral anitbiotic Orfloxin Since the infection was under control i.e. WBC = 20-25 but she didnt respond well to that anti. and within a week the WBC again went to around 50. She was then given Amicacyn injections for seven days. With these injections WBC count has come to normal but showd an increasing trend i.e. from 3-5 to 5-7 in last day of injection. So she has been put on Amoxylin. We consulted on more doctor and he prescribed Taxim for her. So I just want to know which to follow and is this an indication towards VUR or just that infection is chronic and hence taking a long time to vanish? Please help

doctor1 MD

I'm having slight bleeding when I urinate and also light vaginal bleeding . I am also having slight abdominal pain . I had cervical cancer and had to have a complete hysterectomy 36 years ago in which they removed my uterus, 1 ovary and cervix. ....

doctor1 MD

I had sex last night. Can feel a urinary tract infection coming on. I have alprim antibiotics , if I take them today will This affect my pill

doctor1 MD

I’m a male 76 years of age and have had some pain in the pubic area when I urinate - I have had to yhrinate very frequently as well for the past three days -this morning I urinated blood (first time ever) - since my first episode of urinating...