Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

163 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having protected sex. Stated getting scanty period. Reason for irregular and missed period?

Answered by
Dr. Shanti Vennam


Practicing since :1989

Answered : 7284 Questions

Posted on Wed, 15 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hello, I am 33 years old and my period was very regular from the very beginning at the age of 13, after 28 days. In November last year I stopped my anti conceptional pills. I am married and we have a normal sexual life. We are also very careful, and use condoms in order not to get pregnant. This month, my period was only for only 1 day, at the normal time expected and after that just a bit of brown or light pink secretion. After that it stopped completely. I plan to go to the physician and also gynecologist, but I am also very worried, not knowing what can be the reason for this irregularity. Can you please, give me your advice? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Condoms can have a failure rate of up to 15%. There are two possibilities for your scanty period now.

Firstly, you could be having a normal though scanty period as happens occasionally when there is stress or sudden loss of body fat to a level below the standard proportion or hormonal imbalance.

Secondly, it could be an implantation bleed.

Whatever it is, there is no need to panic. You can get a pregnancy test, preferably the blood test and this confirms/excludes pregnancy. As you have anyway planned to see your doctor, you would get further suggestions there.

If you are pregnant and do not wish to retain this pregnancy, you can get a medical abortion under the surveillance of your gynecologist. If it is a temporary hormonal disturbance, you may well ignore it. Stay fit and eat well. Avoid anxiety as this can influence your menstrual pattern very much.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Abortion

doctor1 MD

hello doctor my husband count was less than 1 million. i am 31 and he is 36. we went through iui, ivf but all in vain. But once got conceived thro iui but it was a missed abortion :( Now one otehr doctor prescribed Humog and Pubergen injections for him and his count is increased to 11 million. How can I progress further

doctor1 MD

I had a surgical (D&E) 19 week abortion and after I noticed this clear white-ish salty substance coming out my nipples.Its not leaking or letting down on its own at all but sometimes I do have sudden sharp pains in my breasts., could this be a sign of infection? And i also would like to know if this means my milk will not be coming in or could still come in if its been about 11 days since my abortion?

doctor1 MD

I had a missed miscarriage back in october, since then my menstrual cycle has been shorter than usual about 4 days now. Me and my husband are trying to conceive and i recently started accumulating breast milk and my menstrual came on. What could be the cause?

doctor1 MD

I had my surgical abortion on may then i got 2 proper periods on time but the third period is 9 days late please help,i hv done the hcg test came negative , m finding a watery dicharge white plzz help

doctor1 MD

I am 45 days pregnant and i already have 1 child who is 2 years old. Myself amd my husband have not planned for the second child so we want to abort this pregnancy . We consulted a doctor and he has given 6 tablets for 10 days most of which is...

doctor1 MD

Best brand for copper t wen multiload goes for a failure ???