Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Having problem of hair fall and less facial hair. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 456 Questions
Hi, i am 19 years old and having problem of hair balding as well as very less facial hair growth. My overall physique is very good but facing these problems. What to do and Where to consult?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Himanshu Pandey 2 hours later

Thanks for query at XXXXXXX

The problem for hair fall and less facial hair can occur due to many reasons. Some are genetic (getting from father to son), steroid overuse (like using anabolic steroid for muscles growth), thyroid disorder etc. Sometimes, fungal infection and allergy also can cause these symptoms. Along with this, autoimmune disease like alopecia could be the reason. So the thing you can do is to rule out these causes. For identifying the cause, you may need to undergo a battery of tests. The probable cause and required investigations can be decided after consultation with a endocrinologist.

If there are no hormonal problems found, then you will have to consult a dermatologist to rule out any local factors like fungal infections. Once all these are done, a probable diagnosis can be made and an appropriate treatment can be initiated.

Don't worry. There are enough treatments to get your symptoms under control.

If you have any further questions, do let me know.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having problem of hair fall and less facial hair. Which specialist should I consult? 54 minutes later
Thank you for your reply sir, i have came to know that most of the times doctors treat problem of less facial hair growth by providing more testesterone(artificially) and thus resulting in increased level of DHT which is the root cause of secondary sex characterstics like facial hair. But simultaneously the reason behind the male pattern baldness is also abnormal working of dht. Having these two problem together seems strange to me..What i think is if i will be given treatment to increase my Testesterone level , it gonna increase my hair problem. what is your say?
Answered by Dr. Himanshu Pandey 15 minutes later
Hi thanks for asking.

I would say 'yes' you are right. As we both know that we need correct balance of testosterone hormone. To come to a better diagnosis, balance and a proper treatment, the best person to advise would be an endocrinologist. Be healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor