Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having pain in hand, hurts to pick something. Could it be just a bruise or a fracture?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
I think i may have fractured a bone in my hand. Its not swollen, but there is a lot of pain and it hurts to make a fist or to try to pick something up. Do you think its just a bruse or maybe a fracture?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

The fact that the hand is not swollen almost rules out a fracture in you. However, we cannot rule out hairline cracks by clinical examination alone. Therefore, it is better for you to get an x-ray of the affected hand done to rule out possible hairline cracks.

In either ways, the treatment is simple. Your affected hand or the finger will be immobilized using a splint for a week.

Anti-inflammatory medicines like Tylenol thrice daily for 2 to 3 days will help in relieving the pain.

My good thoughts say that there is no fracture and you will be fine soon.

Do write back if you have more queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor