Having occasional numbness below waist. Could this be due to massage?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 16 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the last one month, I have occasional numbness waist down in the rear portion of my body. This started after I had undertaken a massage. This generally starts early in the morning when I wake up with a loss of feeling starting in the legs, calf, behind the thigh, buttocks, sometimes extending down to the tips of my toes. This generally happens on both legs. Sometimes this disappears after I move about after I wake up, and most days it stays for the entire day.

Is this something attributed to the massage? Or is it something else?

Please advise
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

From description it seems to be due to muscle spasm.

The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Hope this helps you. . Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 32 minutes later
is this something to do with sciatica? a close family member had a similar issue.

is there any diagnostic test that you would advise?

are there any exercises I can do that will help?
and just to clarify - it is just numbness like my leg going to sleep; there is no pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

As your numbness is occasional and disappear after you move around, it does't looks like sciatica.
These numbness without pain might be due to deficiency of vit B12. I suggest you to get Vit B12 level checked out. If it is low, you need vit B12(methylcobalamin) supplements.

I suggest you to do back stretching and strengthening exercises. These will relieve spasm and give strengthen your back and do a lot to reduce these symptoms.
*Knee-to-chest stretch
Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor . Using both hands, pull up one knee and press it to your chest . Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. Return to the starting position and repeat with the opposite leg . Return to the starting position and then repeat with both legs at the same time . Repeat each stretch two to three times — preferably once in the morning and once at night.
*Cobra with Leg Lift
In a prone position(lie flat on stomach), place the hands next to the chest and squeeze the lower back to push the chest off the floor. Lift the right leg off the floor and hold for two seconds, lower and repeat on the other leg for 15 reps on each side.

Hope this helps you. I would be glad to answer any further queries.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at WWW.WWWW.WW
Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Very Informative thank you

IS there a particular test I should ask for - to check Vit B-12 deficiencies?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I am glad to know that I could address your concern.

Ask for -blood test for Vit B12 level.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Warm Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta