Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Having numb patches on thighs and hands. Had surgery to fuse c2 and c3 cervical spine. Suggest

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1526 Questions
Yes you can, I have had 2 surgerys on my neck and the 1st one was to fuse together the c2 and c3 cervical spine. I was born without most of my c2 so they took a bone piece of my pelvic area and built me one and fused it to the c3. The next surgery was to to do a Rizotimy on all of my cervical spine. I was in a auto accident that broke the fusion and also broke the c1 and now I really have had problems with it. I have had a resent MRI and I have alot of damage to my spinal cord itself. They also said that I have bone spurs plus alot of arthritus. The first surgery was did in 1979 where they fused it with 16gage wire that over time , as the the bone grew it has all broke up and my x-rays look like a birds nest now. I have seen alot of specialist and different Drs. I have been diagnosed with so many things that its scary. Ive been put on dissability and cant afford to hardly live besides try to get some help with my problems. I see 3 different Drs every month and it seems to me that they are just trying to get what money what i do get. Ive grown really tired of being in pain and cant afford the maintence drug that I know I need.. This is the first time Ive ever talked to Web MD and know I have a new semtom and its that Im starting to see white and feeling like Im geting shocked more and more. I have felt this before but not as much. The newest semtom is that I have developed numb patches on my thighs where you would put your hands in your pockets. I have had numbness in my hands and fingers it feels like forever, but never before have i had it in my legs, much less on my upper thighs in the front like I described. Is ther anyone out there that can give me some insight in whats going on with me? I really hope that Ive been making some sence. I did find the money to hear your opinion, I really cant afrord it but at this point Im willing to try anything. I didnt tell you that I have some chiped bone spurs that are up there also and it feels like a box of rocks when I move my head and thats not very much. Ive have 30% lose of range of motion ever snice I had the first surgery. The only relief that I do get is just simply not to move very much. If I move around to much my head starts to hurt and after that Im done, I have to just lie down and be very still untill it eases up. Ive went to thearapy untill they hurt me and after that I do my own losenimg up. I do the Hot and cold thing too. I do know that my musules go in to a spazem and then it really does hurt also. Im ready to pay and hear what you have to say sir.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I am sorry to hear about your condition.

It seems that you developed bone spurs after the damage to the cervical spine. It is giving you symptoms in your hands like numbness and muscle spasm. Treatment is usually aimed at addressing the cause and managing the actual bone spur. The treatment may include pain-killers, steroid therapy, or for flare-ups, rest. In some cases surgical therapy like laminectomy may be needed. Bone building efforts like nutrition and exercise, should be tried.

Now coming to the symptoms of numbness in the thighs, it is following the dermatome, most probably, L1 (first lumbar vertebra). The cause does not seem to be related to the process going on in the cervical spine. It may be a simple disk herniation or a spinal stenosis, etc. Most such symptoms improve within a month with life-style modification and pain-killers.

The lifestyle modification includes:
Weight reduction to normal weight
Avoid lifting heavy weights
Exercise programs to strengthen para-spinal and abdominal muscles

If they do not get better then you may need tests like x-rays and other radiological imaging.

Take care

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor